The Beach

By LAPADIDAY - Wednesday, October 12, 2016


My childhood consisted of weekdays at school and the rest of the days on the beach. I was rarely my original skin color because I was always basking under the heat of the sun, soaking in sea water. I go to school with sunburns and skin peeling from my nose, a hanky was a necessity. I remember one time, I was voted class mayor because my classmates wanted me to facilitate the election----not so much because of my abilities but because they wanted to make fun of my chipping nose. Haha! Such bullies, my classmates were! (As though I were the only one who escaped school in 5th grade just to go skinny dipping at the beach down my classmate's house. Eherm...) Then just when my burns were about to heal, my family would go on another beach trip and I'd be sun-kissed (more like sun-FRENCH-kissed) again. I'd be so fried, I cry when clothes touch my skin...and yet--- I craved for it. Like a wave that keeps coming back to shore. I looked forward to the next opportunity to go beachin' once more.


Still, I cannot claim to be a full-blown beach baby since I never got to learn how to swim. (Boo hoo!) Not that anyone's keeping a record of the requirements though. Except float. I can float. My fats help me float. Haha! And my traditional mermaid swim. Lol But I love the beach so much, I dont mind being called a beach whale or whatnot. You can even call me a seaweed or whathaveyou. If you say we're going swimming, I'm in.


I was 5 years old when I dreamt of a house by the beach. Twenty years later and I still dream about it. Someday, I will build that house.


Until then, I stay content with having the sand in my hair (sometimes in my eyes ), smelling the salt in the air, feeling  the waves at my feet, and watching my skin change color which translates to: "I was here".


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments